Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Design plans sorta...

I tend to come up with a lot of plans so i figure that might be best to start there and see how i get distracted....

Materials:
Robo-Panda
half a dozen mixed Meccano toys
20 or so small remote control cars (no range, its the motors you want)
Disposable camera
2 laser pointers
30 feet of chandelier wire
small USB port (got this from a MP3 player)
new software (thank you)
Small Strong Spring
fishing reel

OPTIONAL:
3 joints
booze, a lot of booze.....

So the winter solstice 07 I decide to start taking things apart. I had gotten the Panda as a gift at that year X-mas party for work. but didn't have much use for it and after a couple of drinks I found my tools and got to work. The body comes off easy from the panda. Attach the USB port and went for a joint.

Just about the dorky-est guys i know wrote the software for me once i had the thing built but they need pesky details like how many legs and what not to write it. I happened to be able to get my hands on just aboot anything, they couldn't get weed. so i did what i could to get them a dealer they wrote it and re wrote it till it worked right (about 3 weeks)

Strip the panda to just it's chips and rebuild out from there make sure to leave access to USB port... Design out legs and arms or other equipment as you wish. I made mine small as i could kinda spider-ish

Un-wind the chandelier wire (4 wires inside one cable positive negative ground and a twisted steel cable) twist out and take the cable strands and lay them out to the side. depends on number of limbs. Attach motors to operate limbs in a push-me pull-me set up to move. Nice part of Meccano is with all the screw holes mean plenty of places to tie off steal cable strands

I'm not explaining how to attach the camera, if you deserve it you'll know, if not HA!

Now for the spring is rigged to motor taken from the panda, and has a small arrow attached. the whole thing only weights about 2-3 pounds (mine at least) take 4 strands of the cable and braid them together in about a 20-30 foot leangh. attach a motor to the fishing reel. attach one end of cable to reel and one to arrow. If you can get secure enough arrow hit it can get about anywhere...

I'll tell you how it went boom another day ....

*11:25 pm I discovered that i can follow myself..... would that mean i'm going in circles?

No comments:

Post a Comment